photo

photo

Sunday, November 18, 2012

6 Months!

Seriously?  Half a year has gone by?  It seems like May was yesterday and I was in the hospital having contraction after contraction, having a c-section and hearing the first cry of my cute little boy.  Malcolm is indeed 6 months old, it is surely November not May, and I am still so happy that my little guy is in my life.  Malcolm has rolled over, but has not been put in the catagory of "mobile" yet.  He doesn't even roll around yet.  He still sleeps happily on his back, he rolls side to side to get things and he can scoot.  He has crawled over the boppy before when I put him on his tummy on the boppy.  But he isn't actually crawling.  If I put him down I know that he will still be no more than inches from where I put him down.  Maybe he will be upside down or sidways from where I put him down but it will not be far away.  Maybe it is because Kaylee is so active and full of energy that he just enjoys watching or he knows that I may not be ready for that kind of crazy.  I don't know.  I think I am ready to see this little man crawl around.  It is just so weird because Kaylee was rolling and scooting everywhere by this age!  Just prooves that each baby is their own person.

Right now we don't have insurance because Kevin has not been able to get a job yet, but here is what I know.  I weighed him by weighing myself and then holding him and weighing us together.  He is now 15.5 pounds! When he was 4 months old he weighed 13 pounds 14 oz. So I am glad he is growing.  He STILL has thrush, which has a battle in and of itself.  He had a spot of his cheek at his 4 months appointment and he gave me Nystatin to give to him and an ointment for me.  It was supposed to go away within a week or two.  Well that came and gone and he still had it and it looked bigger and I called and they just refilled he prescription.  It just kept getting bigger.  I then did my own research because of course at this point I have no insurance, Nystatin works 60% of the time.  They put sugar in the infant drops to make it palatable for babies to swallow.  But yeast likes sugar.  Sugar makes yeast grow.  Anyone who cooks with yeast can tell you that is true.  It probably isn't the same thing but it does act similarly.  So I looked up some home remedies to get me through until I find a doctor.  I have been using one cup water to one teaspoon baking soda.  I mix it until dissolved and I stick I Q-tip in it and rub it in his mouth.  It is almost gone.  There is still a line of it on both cheeks but it has decreased tremendously.  So I spent about $30 on that Nystatin stuff for him alone not counting my ointment and the home remedy which cost very little did the trick.  I have used it on myself as well since he has given it to me I think and I feel a lot better.  Not as much pain if any.  I still need to be more consistent which is hard with Kaylee running around getting into things. But I try.

Malcolm is really fun though.  He can say some consonants now.  Like "G"s and "D"s.  No dadas or mamas.  That battle is ongoing.  Although I do swear he said "mama" at a baby shower yesterday I doubt that is true. But it is fun to see what he does.  He is so happy.  He has the best as most addicting smiles.  He also will reach out for you to pick him up.  He loves being held and cuddled.  He also loves food.  He nurses well still.  He has also had Rice cereal, oatmeal (which is almost only what I actually give him), peas, apple sauce, butternut squash, and bananas. It is so fun to make baby food again!  I am so proud of that.  I only buy jars if we are traveling.  Otherwise he gets the homemade good stuff.  It took him 3 days to like peas but other than that he has loved everything else and eats all his peas now.  Just because they spit it out the first time doesn't mean you stop trying.  Keep trying adn they may just like it!

Well on to the next half of his first year.  6 more months until his first birthday, 6 more months of nursing, and 12 more months until he is in nursery!!!  YAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment