photo

photo

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Grandma Genie

Some of you probably know that I recently lost my grandma Genie about a week and a half ago.  We have known for awhile that this was going to happen.  I think it was about 2 years ago the doctors gave her a year to live.  She had some major issues with her lungs.  Well, she beat that but in the process of everything, she started having serious dementia.  This was really hard on all of us.  A lot of the time, I was Sally (my mom) and I think sometimes my aunt was Marcia (her sister who had passed away years back) and she just wasn't Grandma anymore.  We would see glimpses her and there.  I wasn't around when it got to it's worst.  But I still remember her as the happy grandma she was.  This time I am too pregnant to attend the services.  So it has been pretty hard on me.  It is nice that I also have Malcolm to look forward to.  He's keeping me happy.  But there are so many times that I randomly cry because I remember how she used to do high kicks in the front yard to wish us good bye, or how she would always give me a big hug when we arrived at their house.  She loved hearing me play piano.  She just loved having us around I think.  Now it is weird because she is not going to be there anymore.  Well, here are some pictures.

 This is my grandma is a little girl. 
 This is my grandma ready to go to California to be with my grandpa :-)
 My grandparents eloped in Yuma, AZ.  Their families were very excited.
 My grandma hadn't had children yet when this picture was taken.  She made these dolls for the neighborhood children.  It goes to show you were her heart was.  In the right place.  :-)
 She made this doll along with 2 other dolls for Kaylee when she was born.  She also made one for me when I was a little girl and I'm sure she made them for her kids.  :-)
 Above is my grandma with her daughters, my mom on the left and my Aunt Ruthie on the right.
 Grandma made me and Kaylee blankets.  Well she made mine in 1999 that would be 8th/9th grade.  She made Kaylee's when I was pregnant with Kaylee.  Mine is the red one and the blue one is Kaylee's.  Kaylee's is really big so that she can basically use it forever.
 Grandma even sewed on a note and the date.  Looks like it was 9th grade.  I love that blanket!  And yes that is my pregnant belly at the bottom of the picture.
This picture was taken in August 2011.  Grandma just LOVED Kaylee.  Who doesn't but it was nice that we were able to go over and take some pictures with her and Grandpa.  They build that gate for Kaylee too.  So that she could walk around and not fall off the cliff.  Isn't that sweet?  The funeral was this morning.  My family made sure to have it video taped for me.  I wrote an arrangement of the song, "He" for the services.  I actually just arranged the vocal parts.  I kept the accompaniment that came with the song my mom had.  I'm sure the services were just as beautiful as my grandpa's.  I got a text from my friend Joey telling me that my brother was so cute talking and my mom was hilarious.  That is true.  My mom is very funny and I'm sure has many funny stories of grandma.  I can tell that she is so sad about her mom.  I would be.  I love my parents SO much I told Kevin that they aren't allowed to die until they are like 100 years old and it should be peacefully in their sleep.  No one else die in 2012 ok?  This is too heartbreaking. 

(I wrote the above yesterday) I heard the services were beautiful and everyone had a great time considering the circumstances.  HERE is a link to her obituary with pictures and a video slide show of her life.  The slide show is VERY good and I highly recommend you watch it.  It is on the right hand side of the page.

2 comments:

  1. She sounds like such a wonderful lady, Cindy! We are so sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete